∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞
The Cheryl-Lee Howard Mentor Me Program is a mentoring program providing educational and professional development opportunities by and for the members of the Region which will strengthen and increase the number of new and emerging leaders in research administration actively involved in NCURA. Both the Mentee and Mentor must be NCURA members in order to participate.
The Mentor Me Program provides a one-on-one, targeted approach to learning about the field of research administration and NCURA at both the regional and national levels. The program matches a Mentee with a Mentor who has similar skills, background and experience to assist them in identifying leadership and professional development goals and objectives.
The Mentor will also help the Mentee formulate a Leadership and/or Professional Development (L&PD) Plan, a critically important element of the Program. This Plan will include the identification of a Leadership Project, which will include a presentation at next year’s regional meeting in Wheeling, WV. Professional Development can include a career plan aimed towards promotion or for transition to a different position or ways to improve a current position. This is a team effort between the Mentor and the Mentee.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Establish measurable and achievable leadership and/or professional development goals and objectives
- Develop a Leadership and/or Professional Development Plan, in consultation with Mentor
- Be available, responsive and respectful of time commitments
- Complete mandatory assignments in a timely manner and participate fully in scheduled phone meetings
- Remain open to feedback from Mentor
- Seek opportunities to continually grow professionally and to contribute to NCURA at the regional and national levels
- Must have his/her institution’s written support, including partial financial support for attendance at the Region II meeting, including a one-day retreat the day before the meeting, for their participation in this program
- Assist Mentee in setting his/her goals and objectives
- Help the Mentee devise a viable Leadership and/or Professional Development Plan
- Be accessible to Mentee based on a mutually agreed upon schedule
- Participate in monthly calls with Program Committee
• Enthusiastically share information, skills and knowledge
- Provide constructive feedback
• Serve as a thoughtful listener and supportive advisor
- Encourage opportunities for professional growth and volunteer contributions
Mentor Me Program Committee
- Develop Mentor Me Program, content and materials
- Identify and recruit suitable Mentors
- Match Mentors with Mentees
- Help resolve issues and concerns
- Monitor Program progress, including through monthly calls with all Mentors and Mentees
- Provide programmatic guidance and helpful on-line resource tools
- Annually evaluate the Mentor Me Program
August 31, 2017: Call for Mentees goes out
September 30, 2017: Nominations/self-nominations due
Mid-October: Selection and pairing by Mentor Me Program Committee to Steering Committee
October 31, 2017: Mentees are notified of selection
November 1, 2017 – October 31, 2018: Mentor Me program timeline
October 2017: One day retreat prior to Region II fall meeting
Q & A
- What is the time commitment?
- Twelve (12) months.
- How much does it cost?
- Partial cost of travel and lodging at the 2018 Region II meeting in Wheeling, WV. Registration for the meeting and meals during the meeting hours will be covered.
- How many slots are available?
- At least five (5) mentee slots per year.
- What do past mentees say about the program?
- Read past mentee statements here.
- How do I sign up?
- Download Revised Mentee application
- Nominations or self-nominations are due September 30th
- Download Revised Mentee application
For more information, contact Mary Louise Healy @ mailto:email@example.com .